Critical hits - ANSWERED

Here talk about technologies, spells and abilities that can be implemented.
IMPORTANT!: Every proposal should be in a separate topic.
So if you have a new idea open a new topic for it!
Post Reply
User avatar
Sunrise Samurai
Posts: 2650
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: Florida, U.S.

Critical hits - ANSWERED

Post by Sunrise Samurai » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Possible​ new mechanic. Units have a % chance to deal a critical hit, which deals normal damage ignoring armor. Units with a high crit chance are adept at finding weak points in their opponents' armor and bodies.

This could be used at 100% to give full armor penetration to units, such as gunpowder based units. Other possibilities include a 10/20/30% tech for elves, or units like this:

Duelist (human)
Cost 4 at barracks
Hp 25
Armor 0/0
Power 8
Actions 2
Speed 4
Dodge melee 30%
Dodge ranged 30%
Dodge counter 100%
Critical chance 30%
Bonus vs infantry

This would be a fast moving infantry unit that can tear apart even heavily armored enemy infantry while avoiding taking hits. Probably a bit rng heavy, but should be interesting.
Currently residing at the local ninja academy. I'm still watching though.

User avatar
Patrol3110
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:08 pm
Location: The planet earth

Re: Critical hits

Post by Patrol3110 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Good idea, but this doesnt really need a new unit. It can be a tech that gives diffrent units diffrent % chance. I dont believe its only after getting suggested
'Next time it will be better'
That is what i keep telling myself after each battle'

User avatar
makazuwr32
Posts: 3956
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 am
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Critical hits

Post by makazuwr32 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:22 pm

i like idea in total but i don't like idea of this current unit.
for 4 turn unit even if affected by blacksmith upgrades too low damage, too low chance, too low survivability.
I suggest to increase base damage (+2) and this new "crit chance" by 20 or even 30%.

Also i think that this thing would be better for elves.
They definately need something to fight with heavy armored units apart from arrow rains...
Specifically for not so genious persons
makazuwr32 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:24 am
IT IS ALWAYS EASIER TO CORRECT EXISTING THINGS THAN TO MAKE SOMETHING NEW FROM SCRAP. © by Makazuwr32™.

User avatar
Puss_in_Boots
Posts: 2261
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 am

Re: Critical hits

Post by Puss_in_Boots » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 pm

This takes the principle of anti armor and turns it into an RNG. Players shouldn't have to worry about the amount of damage their heavily armored unit takes if they also must take into consideration whether it will hit the elf or not. We should try to avoid these, and let the enemy players produce armored units at high cost.

The change of the lightning weapons should change elven attack strategies on armored units using elf wizards, and they can do it without chance. Armor is not to be simply ignored, it's to prevent the death of expensive and powerful units of fiction. This change is heavily disadvantageous to human imperial units, which are only moderately healthy and powerful.

I fear this change may as well change future giants to be hp colossus rather than ironclads. Just in order to minimize this change.
RED, WHITE and BLUE!

User avatar
Sunrise Samurai
Posts: 2650
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: Florida, U.S.

Re: Critical hits

Post by Sunrise Samurai » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 am

makazuwr32 wrote:i like idea in total but i don't like idea of this current unit.
for 4 turn unit even if affected by blacksmith upgrades too low damage, too low chance, too low survivability.
I suggest to increase base damage (+2) and this new "crit chance" by 20 or even 30%.
That was a sample unit, to be tweaked if the concept is even approved. Immunity to counterattack and multiple hits actually helps the low chance add up to something.
makazuwr32 wrote:Also i think that this thing would be better for elves.
They definately need something to fight with heavy armored units apart from arrow rains...
Again, if the concept is approved this would be individually considered. Percentage would be kept at a maximum of 30% for elves to avoid rendering armor useless.
Puss_in_Boots wrote:This takes the principle of anti armor and turns it into an RNG. Players shouldn't have to worry about the amount of damage their heavily armored unit takes if they also must take into consideration whether it will hit the elf or not. We should try to avoid these, and let the enemy players produce armored units at high cost.
Like mentioned above, % should be kept low for general case to make sure armor is still useful, and extremely high for specific armor penetrating units. For example, a 30% max to elves would just mean a few arrows out of many find a weak spot and do some damage, though not enough to kill anything armored without more damage.
Puss_in_Boots wrote:The change of the lightning weapons should change elven attack strategies on armored units using elf wizards, and they can do it without chance. Armor is not to be simply ignored, it's to prevent the death of expensive and powerful units of fiction. This change is heavily disadvantageous to human imperial units, which are only moderately healthy and powerful.
It may be that lighting weapon gives say +50% crit chance, and this is the way to give that armor penetration mechanic. It is worth considering that separate ideas for this, like lighting weapons adjustment, are possible alternatives though.

Imperials would still have most of the benefit of armor anyway. If something deals 10 damage normally, and is blocked by 9 armor with a 30% crit chance, it deals 1 damage 70% of the time still, and only 10 damage when it does crit.
Puss_in_Boots wrote:I fear this change may as well change future giants to be hp colossus rather than ironclads. Just in order to minimize this change.
Giants already are. It's units of supposedly lesser strength that are heavily armored and would be impacted by this. The only giant that would see a change is olog hai.
Currently residing at the local ninja academy. I'm still watching though.

User avatar
Typhoon
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Critical hits

Post by Typhoon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:18 pm

I like it it's always nice to finish someone with random critical hit (but it's isn't nice to get your unit killed by one)but I hope it'll be switchable
Peace was never an option

User avatar
Sunrise Samurai
Posts: 2650
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: Florida, U.S.

Re: Critical hits

Post by Sunrise Samurai » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:49 am

Alexander? Daniel? Looking for you guys to give a final say. This could be a good option, but it is rng based and I completely understand if we don't want anything more added that is rng dependant.
Currently residing at the local ninja academy. I'm still watching though.

User avatar
Alexander82
Posts: 6241
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Re: Critical hits

Post by Alexander82 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:44 pm

I think we should avoid adding more randomness to the game for now
Age of Fantasy design leader

User avatar
Sunrise Samurai
Posts: 2650
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: Florida, U.S.

Re: Critical hits

Post by Sunrise Samurai » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Alright. Answered tag is now needed and we can archive this topic.
Currently residing at the local ninja academy. I'm still watching though.

User avatar
Alexander82
Posts: 6241
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Re: Critical hits - ANSWERED

Post by Alexander82 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Done
Age of Fantasy design leader

Post Reply

Return to “Technologies, Spells & Abilities”