Race properties

Pepe

Re: Race properties

Post by Pepe »

I've been playing AoF since the beginning, and like it very much. The main problem i face is that races aren't equally powerful. This is obviously the beginning and with time we'll be adding and modifying stats to make them more equal. IMO, this is the list of races (1st = top):

1 - Human: they have all kind of units, + trebuchet can give long distance harm to the rest of buildings. With skimisher they can easily beat elves, and with fire archers undead.
2 - Elves: powerful combination of range units and nature units. unstoppable.
3 - Undead: unless you defeat elves in the first 5-10 rounds, you lose. Same with human. I think undead shouldn't be affected by poison units.
4 - Orcs: by far, the worst race...its powerful volcano units can be easily beaten with spells. Axe throwers should be in orc camps too. Terrible. All infantry units can be destroyed with archers, and wolf riders should be in orc camps.

How do you guys think we could level up undead and orcs and make them comparable to humans and elves
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

For undead i suggest very strong units like spectral rider , grim reaper etc be implemented, like pepe said remove poison effect for them
For orcs first implement rock throwing. They should have very high attack power compared to others. They should have resistance to conversion also
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I think undead need more techs, (to be uunaffected be poison like pepe said) a cheaper less powerful vision of the linch and rebalanced spells (ie, sacrificed killer)
And orcs need a better variety of units to "swarm" the battle field. They also need siege weapons.
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Human are strong because they are an already complete race, they are ok and what any race should arrive to be.

Elves have a ultra fast development, they aren't stronger than human only cause of their lack of upgrades and of a good infantry, otherwise they would be the strongest race (they expand in no time with cheap ranged units that can keep anything under control)

Undeads are pretty unbalanced in both sense. They are almost invulnerable against ranged and have some op abilities. On the other hand they are slow to develop (their worker have a mobility that is too low imho) and they need some serious juggernaut unit. On the other hand the basic cavalry is pretty strong being invulnerable from ranged attacks

Orcs have some of the strongest units in game... too bad they can build them only in volcanoes and that these units cost very much, and that limits their number (something that is pretty wrong, even from a background point of view, because they should be a real "horde" with a swarm of goblin and orcs around colossal brutes), they are terrible at expanding, having no fast units at all (their cavalry is fast as elven infantry). They have nothing that can face flying units, no fire units to deal with ships, their dragon is the only one with vanishing and that you can't control, and also obtaining one is tricky (the spell don't works pretty well or just isn't clear in its way of working).

My suggestions:

Humans: they are fine, they just need some more fantasy unit (they are too much medieval and less fantasy than they should be imho)

Elves: They could use some better infantry and some tech, but they need their unit to be slower, at least the basic one.

Undeads: better rework sacrifice killer to affect not buildings, they should have their bone/flesh golem soon, and maybe the werewolf too. Knights should pierce armor or hp should be lowered, their workers should have a speed of 3.

Orcs: they desperatly need a good ranged, anti air unit and an anti wood unit to make them able to fight elven units like hawks and ents and also ships. They need some way to produce some of their best units at tcs and factories. They need at least a 3 turns fast unit to expand a bit or they be easily outplayed by any other race.
Age of Fantasy design leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

updated the basic approach above:

Generally on all unit ideas:
- start time of the game: we implement this section descritiption units, and units that are fit to the rules below (smallest set of units)
- later: D&D and LOTR other units that did not fit to the first point (bigger set of units)
- later later: any extra idea we come up with (what is not in D&D either)
Enemy of LordOfAles

Post by Enemy of LordOfAles »

Not Alexander82. Then not great
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

What?

This is a post abandoned 2 years ago
Age of Fantasy design leader
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Lol
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.

Return to “Archived - Subraces”