Map editor still in beta??

Put here any discussion that does not fit to the specific forums.
Daruty

Map editor still in beta??

Post by Daruty »

The thing i like the most about this game is the map editor because you can do almost everything you want there.

One of the things you can't do is make maps bigger than 30x30. You'll get a message saying you can't make the maps bigger than 30x30 because map editor is still in beta. Until recently you were able to make maps size 50x50 but i can't even do that anymore.

So i decided to ask when will map editor get out of beta. I've kind of been waiting for that to happen for 3 years but it seems like map editor will stay in beta, is this true?

How was the map great lakes even made?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Map editor still in beta??

Post by Stratego (dev) »

lol, yes, i planned many more things that are still not in - i will have to collect what those were.
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

Ok thanks for letting me know.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

It has been three years???
Daruty wrote:How was the map great lakes even made?
Lol the old school way ;)
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Lol it wasn't 3 years since it even existed :lol:

And yes, I still remember the frustration of making maps in Tiled. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

I think it will be 3 years very soon. But i have some ideas to improve the map editor so it can finally get out of beta yay.

1. Add the unit editor/creator, i know there is a topic about this and it makes the unit editor seem very overcomplicated. This is how i see the unit editor.

1st. Get an idea...

2nd. Open the unit creator.

3rd. Select one of the images in the game(maybe even make one.) and name the unit.

4th. (i don't know if this is possible) fill in the stats of the unit like damage armor speed and sight.

5th Add one of the unit bonusses presets (like anti-calvary or anti-buildings)(maybe add a bonus against a unit you already created)

6th. Add the special unit effects(poison, fire, lifelink, area damage etc.)

7th. Save your unit so you can use it inside map editor.

Note: this will be an unit creator not a terrain or decoration creator.

2. Increase the map size. 30x30 is kind of small. Try 300x300 :twisted:

3. Bigger maps means more lagg?? Maybe something to reduce lagg.

4. [IMPORTANT] Add a way to remove the freaking unit/population limit.

5. I know that it is possible to name units using triggers but triggers are kind of hard to use so maybe it would be possible to have a rename option or something that you can use to easily give an unit a different name. (I get triggered by triggers (my best joke ever please don't be too rude))

6. Add a night and dusk mode. Nothong too fancy for now just decrease of sight. - 1 fot dusk and - 2 for night. Maybe an ambush scenario could be made more realistic this way.

7. This might be impossible? Add caves, when a unit enters a cave he will go down a level, so you basically have a tiny baby map inside of the big map. If this is possible there could even be unique building that you can only build in caves and for AoF the undead would have positice effects in caves.
(multiple exits?)

8. Make a section for units (in map editor) that are ready to be implemented into the game but aren't in the game yet. If an unit might still be unbalanced you would find out before it destroys the multiplayer games?

9. When you are playing one of the maps that you made in the own maps section, can there please be an option to easily switch back to map editor and add/remove some units befote switching back to playing mode again. (this might be nice when you're losing to 2 AI and you really don't want to be beaten by 2 silly AI (never happens to me>.<))

10. An option to share maps with friends using friendcodes or multiplayer usernames? (only for people who have friends :?)

If even one of these things gets added i think you can stop calling it beta.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

4. Is not map editor related and the rest are just too ambitious, might take months of work. :shock:
OLÉ
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

I know but alot of months have passed since the start of map editor.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I don't really know what Daniel has done for map editor since its release to the public.
OLÉ
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

All the new units did get put into map editor so it isn't like map editor is forgotten. I realise i was being stupid but just please make the limit 50x50 again 30x30 is just too small :(
Redanxelar

Post by Redanxelar »

Well it's been increased to 40x40
The old signature is damn cringe
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

I'd like to revive this post again. I mean, 40x40 is cool and all but I like 50x50 way more. The game can easily handle 50x50, it was even one of the old limits. I've looked for it but I've never been able to find why it was reduced anyway.

I'd like to request again for the size limit of map editor maps to be increased to 50x50 and if this isn't possible for whatever reason, I'd like to know why. I've been waiting for it to come back for like 3 years now so I really want to know.

In short, I'm looking for clarity. Will there ever be a 50x50 limit or was my hope in vain?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

big maps can make the games too long, and "micomanagie".
so that is the limit for.

however for very experienced mapdesigners - making tremendous maps - i can give special grant to make a few bigger one.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Imho, micromanagement increase comes from tcs (and all things related - especially workers). If there is not too many tcs - map size only increases number of turns required to move.
And tediousness of that is decreased a lot by movement bonuses on roads and deep water.
So as long, as huge map wouldn't have too many tcs, roads and deep water would be placed strategically to create fast routes - it should be perfectly viable.

If roads could be created while playing - situation would be even better for larger maps.
Age of Strategy design leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes, i ment each turn will mutiply micromanagement.
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

Ah, thank you, that explains a lot. Personally I always use and used map editor to make battles with set amounts of units so I never had a clue people had to deal with managing a lot of tc's. I always thought the main purpose of map editor was to make your own battles and I simply forgot people would try to make maps to be used in multiplayer as well. Not like I like the decision and it kind of ruins the way I use map editor still but at least I understand the reasoning now and can accept the way it is the way it is. Thanks.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok i have increased it to 50x50, use wisely :)
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

Thank you so much!

Return to “Other discussions about the game”