Map design - TRIGGERS (eg. if the hero dies)

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Map design - TRIGGERS (eg. if the hero dies)

Post by Stratego (dev) »

pleasae try it and answer these:
Q1: can u put in negative value ?
Q2: is it applied (decreases HP) when trigger executes?
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:pleasae try it and answer these:
Q1: can u put in negative value ?
Q2: is it applied (decreases HP) when trigger executes?
The hp is decreased, but not the max hp only the hp that you could lose by any damage caused ingame, is it intended or no?
Also i noticed that the sight trigger when appling the negative value to archers, they are able to shoot into the fog of war and undiscovered territory without seeing the units. I don't know about you, but i don't think that back in the day they had enchanted heatseeking arrows and also enemy structure seeking arrows.
The sight trigger is a little wonky by itself anyways, if i set a swordsman (sight 4), with a -1 sight value, at the beginning of each turn, before that individual unit has moved, it will have a sight of 4 rather than 4-1=3. On moving on that turn it will change to 3 however.
Edit: And also, the reveal spot effect always (and i mean ALWAYS) fails to execute if it is placed under the cond: player1 turn nr1 has started when it is set to the 1st turn of the 1st player (so on game launch). The trigger simply does nothing. I also believe that the: change player1 view to xy position has the same problem
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

The hp is decreased, but not the max hp only the hp that you could lose by any damage caused ingame, is it intended or no?
the current effect changes only the HP. there is no effect to change hp max, shall i put a hpmax changing effecT?
Also i noticed that the sight trigger when appling the negative value to archers, they are able to shoot into the fog of war and undiscovered territory without seeing the units. I don't know about you, but i don't think that back in the day they had enchanted heatseeking arrows and also enemy structure seeking arrows.
it is up to you, dont set lower sight than shooting range, that is it.
The sight trigger is a little wonky by itself anyways, if i set a swordsman (sight 4), with a -1 sight value, at the beginning of each turn, before that individual unit has moved, it will have a sight of 4 rather than 4-1=3. On moving on that turn it will change to 3 however.
yes, visuality is interpreted earlier than "starting" a turn.
Edit: And also, the reveal spot effect always (and i mean ALWAYS) fails to execute if it is placed under the cond: player1 turn nr1 has started when it is set to the 1st turn of the 1st player (so on game launch). The trigger simply does nothing. I also believe that the: change player1 view to xy position has the same problem
ok thanks, i will check, but i think u have many other options to catch the "starting of the game"
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Hpmax would be great
Would their be any chance of getting all the obj. change (stat) to get an area affect copy, or is that just to ambitious?
yes, visuality is interpreted earlier than "starting" a turn.
Sooo.... its a bug or no, cause if not, say you have a unit like legolas go ahead and spot half the map at the beginning of his turn, then suddenly go blind when he begins walking, it kinda ruins the whole point wouldn't you agree.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Hpmax would be great
it is ready up on server
Would their be any chance of getting all the obj. change (stat) to get an area affect copy, or is that just to ambitious?
yes, too ambitious :) (i dont think it will be used ever)

bug: yes, please open a bug topic for it.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Hmm coolguy the video you made regarding the trigger i asked, is not as useful as i thought it was-
1 i dont blame u , but you are lightening fast when it comes to trigger making so i got a bit confused.
2 u made many effects which stood hidden as you did not scroll down .
3 at the end u ended the video abrubtly, but i suggest you run the trigger to show how it came out to be finally.
4 . Some empty spaces are quite confusing to fill. U may just explain their significance.

Well , thats all!
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

3 at the end u ended the video abrubtly, but i suggest you run the trigger to show how it came out to be finally.
Its in a new vid if you search
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Okay, sorry that it didn't help much.

1. :) lol sorry. That's good usually (like when I have to make triggers for my own maps) but probably not a good teaching strategy. Were the video texts displayed too short a time to read? Does it help to go step by step watching and pausing as you go?

2. I am pretty sure that I filmed me making all of them. I guess that is part of my going too fast so it is hard to tell which effects I had already made.
Hardeep wrote:3 at the end u ended the video abrubtly, but i suggest you run the trigger to show how it came out to be finally.
Its in a new vid if you search

That is right, there is a follow up video posted on YouTube.

4. The video was just showing how I made those particular triggers. It was just supposed to be a supplement to the help manual in the game. The in-game manual explains all the input fields and most of the effects and conditions (minus the newest ones.)
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Ok .but i have read the manual way too many times and though it is helpful, it doesnt explain the use of all blanks, especially the blank in which we have to write the max no. Of the units in the rect. Area
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

max no. of units in RectArea: That is just the field 'nr2'. It is only used as 'max no.' for certain triggers. Other times it is used for other things such as trigger id's.

I can make a video to explain the Create objects in Area Trigger better. :)

Other videos: I think if I break everything up into step-by-step, with a black screen and text it would make it clearer.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I would recommend you scrap the idea of any text on screen because-
It covers important screen space and i am not able to see what field u are entering what
Secondly , u are too fast for a text to remain in sync with your present action

TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Can someone guide me to trigger the following?
After killing an object, his team units get converted to my side..the units to be converted are in variety and not of a single type.they are present within a rect. Area but not at all places

Please answer fast! Thanks

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:Can someone guide me to trigger the following?
After killing an object, his team units get converted to my side..the units to be converted are in variety and not of a single type.they are present within a rect. Area but not at all places

Use cond. Obj destroyed (self explanatory)

Use effect. Objs change owner in area
Area fields are self explanatory
In player n1 field : (player number # that will get their units converted)
In player n2 field: (player number # that receives the converted units)
Obj type field is optional
TheBluePhoenix wrote:they are present within a rect. Area but not at all places
If there are several units outside the rectangle, repeat the above affect but modify it to include the other units. If this cannot be done (i.e. will convert unwanted units if done this way)
then use effect obj change owner
In player n1 field: ( select player that will receive the specified unit (to choose use the obj n1 field))
[Just use multiple of the above affect if the units outside any possible rect area are more than one]
Hope this helps!
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Hardeep wrote:

If there are several units outside the rectangle, repeat the above affect but modify it to include the other units. If this cannot be done (i.e. will convert unwanted units if done this way)
In player n1 field: ( select player that will receive the specified unit (to choose use the obj n1 field))
[Just use multiple of the above affect if the units outside any possible rect area are more than one]
Hope this helps!
Correct, but it only affects all units that happen to be in the designated area when the trigger fires. So it doesn't affect the units that are in the area when the map is created, only the units that happen to be in the area when the trigger fires.
Thanks!
Josh
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

COOLguy wrote:
Hardeep wrote:

Hope this helps!
Correct, but it only affects all units that happen to be in the designated area when the trigger fires. So it doesn't affect the units that are in the area when the map is created, only the units that happen to be in the area when the trigger fires.
You wanna bet?thats it! 12 gems that your right, right here, right now!
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

lol you win :) I just tested it an hour ago.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I cannot see any blank for nr 2 .i think there might be a bug. cool guy how did you try it?also if i dont select any specific object type in the unit type blank, all types of unit in the rectangular area get converted right? Please fix this

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:I cannot see any blank for nr 2 .i think there might be a bug. cool guy how did you try it?also if i dont select any specific object type in the unit type blank, all types of unit in the rectangular area get converted right? Please fix this
If you dont use the obj type field, everything that is within the area (of the specified team) will be converted if they are within the rectangles dimensions when the trigger goes off
Are you sure you cannot see the nr2?
Make sure you use the objs change owner in area, it should look like this
[Effect] [Player nr1] [Player nr2]
[Obj type] [Area x/y] [Area x/y]
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I will mail the screen shot to you or cool guy and dev
tell me yr email id.i tried to upload but it exceeds 256 kb

TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Hallo many triggering problems:
1 the msg dialogues appear in opp. Order i.e. the first ones appear last and the last ones first
2 the trigger obj 1 besides obj 2 has some problems
3 the trigger disable objs in rect area doesnot work if all spaces of the rect. Area are not occupied.(EDIT:THIS TRIGGER WORKS PERFECTLY.I HAD MADE A MISTAKE. HOWEVER THE FIRST TWO POINTS ARE GENUINE.the order of message display is reverse only for dialogue.if i selact chat,it is displayed properly)
Please fix

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:Hallo many triggering problems:
1 the msg dialogues appear in opp. Order i.e. the first ones appear last and the last ones first
This is just how it is. The game executes the triggers in order. So it displays message number 1 and then message number 2 (over number 1).
TheBluePhoenix wrote:Hallo many triggering problems:
2 the trigger obj 1 besides obj 2 has some problems
This sounds like it might be bad. Does anyone else have this trouble?
Thanks!
Josh
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

I havent encountered it.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

The problem with that trigger is sometimes it shows missing even when complete.however it executes properly though.
Cool guy , then how do i reverse the order? The chat msg looks bad and i want everything in dialogues. Maybe copy paste will help
Also i wanted to know how i can activate the same effect for 2 seperate conditions.i tried using trigger activate trigger but it didnot work.maybe i am doing it wrong

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Also i wanted to know how i can activate the same effect for 2 seperate conditions.i tried using trigger activate trigger but it didnot work.maybe i am doing it wrong
So if for example if you kill either a specific legionary or a man at arms, you get an elephant, but if you kill them both its still only one elephant
If so, then make two triggers, put the triggering in, then add trigger deactivate for the other trigger that does the same thing. For the second trigger repeat the process but direct the trigger deactivate at the first trigger.
Hope this helps
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I will explain the exact situation to u
There is a group of units of team 4 which are disabled by earlier triggers. I want a trigger to enable them if 1. Turn 10 of player 1 starts
2. if hero knight reaches a particular area

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:I will explain the exact situation to u
There is a group of units of team 4 which are disabled by earlier triggers. I want a trigger to enable them if 1. Turn 10 of player 1 starts
2. if hero knight reaches a particular area
In that case simply use the appropriate cond triggers for both. And use objs enable in area(of units) for both, no need to deactivate as disabled units cannot teleport to the area.
If there is dialog, then do the trigger deactivate in both triggers so that they are 'aimed ' at their counterpart that does the same thing (so hero knight trigger disables player turn and vice versa)
kurt278

Post by kurt278 »

Could somebody be so kind to walk me through my first trigger attempt?

Here is what I try to obtain: When any unit of player 2 walks onto a specific tile A/B, units in area C/D-E/F get converted from neutral (gray) to player 2. There are 2 players in that game, I guess neutral must be player number 3 (at least the trigger editor seems happy to accept that value).

I did create a trigger, but it doesn't seem to fire. Here is what it looks like:

Code: Select all

[Cond: Objs in area] [3] [2]
[NO TYPE]
[Area A/B] [A/B]

[Eff: Objs change owner] [3]
[NO TYPE]                [2]
[Area C/D] [to E/F]
I guess the problem must be in the "Condition" part, the effect seems pretty much self-explanatory. But I'm a little confused about the values to put into the [Nr1] and [PlayerNr] fields of that condition. I would normally only expect one entry, the player number who is supposed to trigger this.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Code: Select all

[Cond: Objs in area] [3] [2]
[NO TYPE]
[Area A/B] [A/B]

[Eff: Objs change owner] [3]
[NO TYPE]                [2]
[Area C/D] [to E/F]
Yes, I think the Condition is at fault. If the first two numbers in the condition are the "playernr" and "nr" values respectively, it should read "[2] [1]" - which means 1 (nr) of Player 2's units (playernr)

I hope that helps. Tell me if that works, and if not, please let me know.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

We have to add sufficient description for this trigger.it is very confusing for beginners

kurt278

Post by kurt278 »

COOLguy wrote: Yes, I think the Condition is at fault. If the first two numbers in the condition are the "playernr" and "nr" values respectively, it should read "[2] [1]" - which means 1 (nr) of Player 2's units (playernr)

I hope that helps. Tell me if that works, and if not, please let me know.
You mean "Nr1" to 2 and "PlayerNr" to 1?
No, doesn't work. Neither does swapping to 1-2. :(
It definitely isn't very clear.

Anyway. Will explore this further next year. Happy celebrations to you guys!

Return to “Map Design”