Legion Training - IMPLEMENTED

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Legion Training - IMPLEMENTED

Post by DoomCarrot »

I suggested something very similar to this when the Roman legionairre was in the design stages, and I have continued to wish it were in the game somehow, so I have come up with this:

Problem: Roman Garrison still is not very useful, largely because it does not offer any upgrades or units which cannot be made elsewhere. Furthermore, legionairres are severely outclassed by fully upgraded man-at-arms, which makes them a very illogical late game infantry alternative.

Idea: Legion Training Tech. This tech would cost 5 turns to complete, and can only be researched in a Roman garrison. When researched, it gives all legionairres this ability: All legionairres get +1 in armor and pierce armor for each adjacent legionarrie, up to +4 defense if a legionairre is surrounded by 4 other legionairres. This is historically accurate, as the Roman shield wall was nearly invincible for its time.

Result: The Roman garrison becomes more useful. Roman legionairres become a viable strategy even late game, but require careful strategy to be used effectively.

It would not be overpowered, as you would need to

1. Build many legionairres to use this effectively
2. They would be grouped together, which makes certain weapons like ballistae a strategic counter to them.
3. Even if you had 7-8 legionairres grouped together, not all of them would have +4 armor. Archers could still pick off stragglers if used correctly.

I feel like the Roman units need some balancing and revamps, and I think this is a good start to make them more useful, and of course fun to use and fight. :)

How do others feel about this idea?
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Puss_in_Boots

Re: Legion Training

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I think it's great. It will definitely make the players use them historically, and in formation too! :)
OLÉ
Detros

Post by Detros »

I think any tech that actually makes moving-units-slower-but-together instead of anyone-rushing-forward-without-looking-at-their-co-combatants a viable strategy sounds good.
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

Brilliant idea! Maybe this can also effect auxilliaries too?
Epic Gamer Moment!
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Detros wrote:I think any tech that actually makes moving-units-slower-but-together instead of anyone-rushing-forward-without-looking-at-their-co-combatants a viable strategy sounds good.
New thought :o ;)
DoomCarrot wrote:Idea: Legion Training Tech.
+1 to this idea as well as a "shield wall" concept idea
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

I like the support. :)

And yeah, I thought about that Alpha, but I am not sure if auxiliaries were really as well trained as Roman legions with shield walls and such. I would have to look it up to see if it is historically accurate.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

A quick wip idea for the tech symbol. Not sure if this sort of image is the right way to go though, so I just did a rough draft. Perhaps a roman shield/shield wall sort of image would make more sense

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Another idea: this is just a resized image, but a something along these lines might fit for the tech icon.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I think the image is good enough to convey the basic idea.
Change the name to shield walls, and it will do a better job at demonstrating the principle.
OLÉ
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

How about this idea, a unit under the effect of shield wall gets 75% reduced damage from trebuchet, catapult and heavy catapult and catapult ship, but still gets maximum damage from cannon and ballista, does catapults would b ineffective against armies of legionaries under shield wall effect, and I think just having two legionaries adjacent to each other will give them the shield wall effect, and the effect will stack for every legionary adjacent to it increasing armour and pierce armour by 1 for every stack
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Idk about that godofkings

Typically catapults were great at smashing formations. Having a 200 pound boulder hit you at 50 mph is enough to kill you, shield wall or not lol :lol:
godOfKings

Re: Legion Training - IMPLEMENTED

Post by godOfKings »

Here is a question, should saggitarius also benefit from shield wall? Like it doesn't give any armor bonus to adjacent units but if legionary is adjacent to it then it can get armor bonus
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Legion Training - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Stratego (dev) »

godOfKings wrote:Here is a question, should saggitarius also benefit from shield wall? Like it doesn't give any armor bonus to adjacent units but if legionary is adjacent to it then it can get armor bonus
consulted with Coolguy and answer is no.

Return to “IMPLEMENTED - Technologies”