Carrot Cup 2017!

Discuss any running multiplayer game or Find partners to play with.
Puss_in_Boots

Re: Carrot Cup 2017! --Ongoing--

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Fight the lazies out COOLfront!

Do it!

Post the images please. :mrgreen:
OLÉ
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes, sorry for slow turn taking lol.... But it appears that I am in serious trouble...
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

As you can see, COOLFront has rallied in the North as I feared, and has revealed a massive invasion force. I think I can hold him at my castle for a while, but my soldiers are mostly falling back and abandoning the northern TC.

My fleet has been mostly canned and controlled by many fire archers along his shores, and I am now on the defensive.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

COOLguy could just kick back and win the battle with the double points rule. ;)

I'm kinda surprised by the size of his cavalry army despite the amount of siege factories he built.

He could use a transport boat to get troops across to that lone TC guarded by the assassin, but he needs to be very quick and cautious of the doom navy.
OLÉ
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Puss_in_Boots wrote:I'm kinda surprised by the size of his cavalry army despite the amount of siege factories he built.
heh heh heh
Thanks!
Josh
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Yeah, looks like the DCPRN has lost this round. Great job coolguy
The glorious sun rises again
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Is Detros still active? It appears that me and COOLguy's game is speeding to a thunderous end. Detros would be COOLguy's next opponent
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Doom has been fighting with his ashigaru fairly effectively, but I think I might just have too many siege an heavy knights. :)
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

My ashogari have fought a retreating battle across the forests taking cover in mantlets and emerging to hit important targets, but I am simply being overrun by his heavy knight charge. I might be able to hold him at my castle for a few turns, but that depends on how many siege weapons he has packed
Detros

Post by Detros »

DoomCarrot wrote:Is Detros still active? It appears that me and COOLguy's game is speeding to a thunderous end. Detros would be COOLguy's next opponent
Yes, I am around, but watching just this thread and not playing much in the meantime.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

DoomCarrot wrote:but that depends on how many siege weapons he has packed
... :twisted:
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Well, COOLguy is very close to the double point limit, so it is possible that a winner will be declared in the next day or two
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I am defeated....

End of my last turn:

There was no way I could win this, COOLguy has utterly overwhelmed my defences, and is pressing in on every side. He destroyed my castles, and made the double point limit.

However, this was an EXCELLENT game. No seriously, this was honestly the best way I could hope to go out in this tournament Besides losing to the pectorate, but I digress

Early game was interesting. COOLguy had a definite tc advantage, but was forced to spread himself very thin in order to get it. That allowed me to strike decisive hits against weakspots in COOLfront, and there were multiple moments in the game where I equaled the tc count. We both made some really good moves (me positioning an assassin and using it to destroy his first castle, invasion force taking his northernmost capital city, COOLguy was wise to focus his endgame in the North where I did not have the strength to stop him), and we also made some really bad moves (COOLguy leaving his castle open to assassins, me wasting my northern legion by trying to land an invasion party in the north).

There were multiple moments in this game where the tides began to turn against each of us. However, one of my critical weaknesses was my lack of places to build castles. COOLguy was wise to play purely defensive after his initial failure to bridge into my territory, and focus almost solely on taking advantage of his castle-buildable land to eventually overpower me with siege weapons. Had COOLguy succumbed to my frustrating orthnicopter raids on his siege workshops and such and decided to play more aggressively, I actually think I would have won this game.

Excellent game COOLguy, as much as a despise the pretentions of the pectorate, I must acknowledge that you were a worthy opponent. I also feel like this game proves that all is not lost just because you have access to a few less tcs than your opponent. There are so many other factors and strategies that come into play in AoS, and close tourney games really allow these aspects to shine. :)

Oh, and this game also proved that walls are not useless in a competitive setting. :P
Last edited by DoomCarrot on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Brackets are updated! Detros v COOLguy may commence!

Duneix and tamtam get to wait out another round, sorry guys, hope you remember to keep checking this topic regularly so you don't miss your games when they finally come up, that is what you get for playing well :lol:
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Wow What a game. I will say that this match was nearly never a foregone conclusion to either side. I imagine that I had the advantage overall, but the battle came down to strategy and tactics. I will break this match into parts and evaluate Doom like we did last tourney :)

1) The Opening
This was the beginning moves until all the towns were occupied. I opted for a highly aggressive stance in the hopes of quickly overwhelming or intimidating Doom. I bridged the river and went for the north as fast as I could. I achieved both goals but was forced back across the river and was infested with snakes that kept invading my towns. Doom focused on building labor and fortresses. I was probably my weakest at the end of the opening. My southern army was decimated and unfortified and my frontier was wilderness. I did well in my land grab but failed to calculate the snakes and committed too many men to attacking. Doom did well to build himself up and fortify as well as the amazing wall move, but I believe he could have been a little more tactical to counter my northern move and maybe even thwart it in which case I would have lost.

2) The Standoff
During this phase Doom and I focused on fortifying, inventing tech, and planning invasion forces. Doom researched skirmies and birds and catapults. With his fortifications he destroyed my seaward forces gaining naval control, surprisingly. I threw everything into cats and gunpowder with sides of crossbows. I was slowly losing resources to Doom but had to play for the win. I built my worker force globally and constructed one trireme to guard my center. As side thoughts I began investing in birds and fire archers to deter Doom's future threats. In the north, I constructed castles while I feinted an attack encouraging a controlled front. I also hit upon the idea to build an invasion force of heavy knights since Doom had zero anti-cavalry. I did good in developing my strengths to quickly build castles but should have developed more to defend my southern coast. Doom did very well in controlling the seas but did not use it to the fullest extent since I was able to keep him away from my weak center with one ship.

3) The Invasions
Doom launched several waves of attacks. His use of battering rams and wagons was excellent. Unfortunately, he struck a bit too soon and in piece meal fashion. He attacked the north with a group of skirmishers and an assassin. He then launched an invasion at my center. However, I was able to hold on long enough to slowly beat him off and regain town control. I also used battering rams in the south and my cannons began to come online.I think that Doom might have been successful had he waited a bit and launched all his men at the south after hitting my north castle. I did well in keeping my cool and holding onto my strategies until I fought him off. Psychological war was also a bonus since Doom never accurately understood the forces I had. Doom did well with the assassin, but was a bit too preemptive in his attack.

4) The Endgame
After beating off Doom's invasions I had only to wait for the end game to claim victory. I encouraged him to continue his assaults and built up my siege engines to prepare for my own. I began to be more aggressive in the north by expanding my fortifications. I also kept him from building additional castles and destroyed his trebuchets with my birds. Not sure if he ever caught on. Finally, I launched an assault with amassed cannonry, trebuchets, and heavy knights much to Doom's shock. With a portion of my production, I was creating an average of 1 trebuchet, 1 cannon, and 1 heavy knight per turn.

This was a good game and DoomCarrot is a worthy opponent. I look forward to facing him again and am overjoyed that the Protectorate has begun to revive against the threat of the DCPR. I now await Detros.
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Good review, and I had no idea you ever had orthnixopters :lol:
Detros

Post by Detros »

What a great game. Which turn was the last one?

@CoolGuy: Send me a PM with map details when you are ready, please. Rather wait for this Sunday first as I am going to be too busy to start playing tomorrow. Thanks.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Detros: I hath pmed you this very morning

The last turn was 45
Thanks!
Josh
Detros

Post by Detros »

COOLguy wrote:Detros: I hath pmed you this very morning

The last turn was 45
Good, I was going to ask you if you are ready for a new match.
Though, I don't see any new PM in my Inbox here.

EDIT: I have sent PM to you, try replying with map details, please.
Detros

Post by Detros »

This time the PM arrived and I have joined the game, thanks for creating it.
Planning now...
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Good luck, may the odds be ever in your favor :)
Detros

Post by Detros »

It is Dead Canyon, 35x35, Reveal, Normal amount of TCs, No techs, Few starting units.
I had a busy day so sorry for longer planning phase, COOLguy. I will move in few hours. Christmas can be such a rush hour all day through...
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yay, a map I made and am very proud of :P

Btw, its "dry canyon" ;)

Good luck to both!
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

How is the current game going Detros v COOLguy?
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

This feels so empty without the exciting details of Doomcarrot vs Coolguy lol. Please update us on the next installment of the carrot cup :D
The glorious sun rises again
Detros

Post by Detros »

Our score is 594/743 at the start of COOLguy's 6th turn.
The north towns were captured and reds just got near that west flock of towns. There was no clash yet, we are just happily riding around.
So all is well in dry cannon. A dry one. But the storm is coming and that well won't stay dry for long.
Last edited by Detros on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Nice, who is who?
Detros

Post by Detros »

DoomCarrot wrote:Nice, who is who?
As you can see at the first image with the whole map, I play first, I started in NE corner and am cyan/teal. COOLguy is red and started in NW corner.
But OK, the image quality is not the best at this zoom level.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

How goes the progress? Is anyone gaining any edge over the other yet?
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

No change. It is gonna be a rush for towns. and then depending on who has the advantage it would trigger either fortifying or a rush
Thanks!
Josh

Return to “Multiplayer discussions”