Combat engineers versus infantry OLD_TOPIC

Oohps

Combat engineers versus infantry OLD_TOPIC

Post by Oohps »

The existing infantry is really a combination of combat engineers and fortification engineers.

Infantry was used to kill machine guns in not open terrain.

Combat engineers clear tactical obstacles and lay mines. Blow minefields, firethrowers...

Fortification engineers provide built protection and strategical resources. Airfields, harbours...

I think it's worth considering expanding the infantry tech tree here.

Another tactical and strategical issue is that infantry with artillery was the main combat forces during both world wars. Differently utilised of course. Our existing general issue is that most terrain is favoring motorised forces. In real life moving a tank is the biggest problem. Enemies is the third priority. The second is fuel but I think it's good to avoid logistic troops in this game. I think we need some half hindering terrain to get the infantry versus tanks balance correct. This might help tanks versus air easier too. Oohps
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Combat engineers versus infantry

Post by Stratego (dev) »

"half hindering terrain" what do you mean? please tell me example terrain eg: swamps?

currently we have woods where units get slower
Oohps

Re: Combat engineers versus infantry

Post by Oohps »

Vehicles can be divided in road, open solid ground, broken solid ground and over snow vehicles. In WW2 most were road vehicles with some open ground ability. All other movement were (and are) painfully slow.
We have open solid ground, broken solid ground and impassable ground. Swamp actually kills trucks, horses and tanks. The broken solid ground is not abundant enough. Swamps should keep all vehicles still for two turns. The woods (broken solid ground) should also protect against being hit by air and artillery. The light halftracks were so popular because they were the only real all terrain and over snow vehicles available.

I still think it would be advantageous to consider separating infantry and combat engineers as two separate tech trees. I understand your motivation but even today it's infantry that fight and take terrain. All other weapons are supporting their fight.

If infantry tech tree hold things like anti armor rifles, anti armor thrown grenades, mines and rocket propelled anti armor grenades.
Combat engineers tech tree could hold vehicle repair, bridges, mines, clearing minefields, harbours, roadbuilding in impassable terrain. Tank factory, airfield and hospital Could be Fortification engineers. Two types of engineers is possibly one too many but it's too easy to build tank and artillery factories now. Arty has to be balanced not only in building (slower). I'll discuss that under artillery.

Return to “Infantry (last cleanup: 20240130)”