Nations

Put here any ideas about new suggested game types comes into your mind.
COOLguy

Re: Nations

Post by COOLguy »

No.

What I was saying was:

-I think every nation we implement at the start should have 3 special national units
-so we have to implement more units whether they are for a "Saracen" nation or a "Russia" nation
DoomCarrot wrote:Also, I don't think we should reskin normal units, and just leave them as common units, as that would be a lot of work.
No, I agree. What I was saying was that with a little image touch-ups we can change the normal horse-archer to a Hungarian Horse archer. (since the Longbow is technically an English Longbow, the War Elephant is like a Carthaginian War Elephant) so we can have more special national units.
DoomCarrot wrote:Also, what do you mean by unit/images that we have to find? Are you thinking of flags, like AoF has shields for the factions? If so, I was imagining we could simply have the name of the nations to begin with.
Not sure which part you are referring to

but:
COOLguy wrote:-I think every nation we implement at the start should have 3 special national units
-so we have to implement more units whether they are for a "Saracen" nation or a "Russia" nation
Because a nation with only one special unit is a pretty sorry nation - especially when you can no longer build any more of the other national units.
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Ah ok, well, in that case, we must work on a lot of existing nations (Korea, Hungary, Celts) before this is implemented, because I think we only have 2-3 national units for 2 nations right now. :lol:

Unless we do just reskin some units like horse archers and elephants. However, would they have different stats? What would set them apart from the common units that everyone can build?
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Shouldnt Longbowmen be English/British/Celt?
Or...
Maybe a little pumped up, for exclusive English/British/Celt Longbowmen (new unit)?
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Longbows should deffinately be english, saxon, or something of that sort. Good point.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

I don't see this idea, actually. I know something about balancing sides in game and I suppose it's quite impossible here without changing EVERYTHING. I'm afraid if it can destroy power of this game in present look.
Sorry for all, maybe I am wrong, but for now I am totally against this concept :/
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

What would make anything unbalanced? To be honest, there isn't a single national unit that is "needed" or "overpowered." Also, this does not really greatly change the game, and only removes the option to build about 6-8 troops based on what nation you are.

Hussars certainly are great for a fast, light cavalry strategy. This is not the only strategy to play by. And If it is, you could be Hungary or Russia.

Romans are great if you have time to build an organized army. Man-at-arms and banner bearers work fine for a similar strategy if you do it right.

Turtles are good at defending important waters. So are fire archers.

Longbows are alright.

Tuetonic knights are a nice infantry unit for castles, but they are not overpowered at all.

Celtic warriors and samurai are both great anti-infantry units, but neither are heavily used, or overpowered.

Where is the unbalance?
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Longbows would be Ideal for sniping workers and suppression.
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Well, yes. But they aren't unbalancingly powerful in my opinion. But they are certainly nice to have!
Disco

Post by Disco »

HokanPL wrote:I don't see this idea, actually. I know something about balancing sides in game and I suppose it's quite impossible here without changing EVERYTHING. I'm afraid if it can destroy power of this game in present look.
Sorry for all, maybe I am wrong, but for now I am totally against this concept :/
Id really like to know, how this game mode, would need to change EVERYTHING, to make it balanced lol.

My first guess is..90-95% of ALL units would be available to ALL countries.
Only a specific few units are given to countries, to make them different.

BUT

The general bonuses def need looking at seriously, this could easily unbalance some nations. But then again..war was rarely balanced..and lets say (for example) the vikings wouldnt have liked fighting in the desert lol.

P.S. Goodstuff on the list DC.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes, basically every nation would have 95% the same units, but each nation would be able to build its few national units as well.

Also, as for general bonuses, they COULD be hugely unbalancing if not done right. To be honest, I think general bonuses might be a lot to implement, but I did have an idea.What if general bonuses were starting techs? For instance, Romans could start with ambidextria, since they had great builders. Germany could start with loyalty or something, mongolians could start with master archery 1, etc.

Is this a good idea, or is it not really?
Disco

Post by Disco »

DoomCarrot wrote:Yes, basically every nation would have 95% the same units, but each nation would be able to build its few national units as well.

Also, as for general bonuses, they COULD be hugely unbalancing if not done right. To be honest, I think general bonuses might be a lot to implement, but I did have an idea.What if general bonuses were starting techs? For instance, Romans could start with ambidextria, since they had great builders. Germany could start with loyalty or something, mongolians could start with master archery 1, etc.

Is this a good idea, or is it not really?
Hey I think thats a cracking idea, about the general bonuses!
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Cool. :)
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

I've written about unbalancing because I thought every nation get units which cannot be recruited by another ones. For example only Nation A gets normal Archers and swordmen, rest - no. If we're talking about the concept many units are avaliable for all and only some units are specific for specific nations - my words aren't actual.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Ah, I see. Yes, all nations would have the same basic units, buildings, etc. :)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I remember that some sid meywer's civilization games had some specific units that were substitutes for normal units (for example a japanese player had the samurai unit instead of a normal swordman, so a roman player could use a legionaire instead of a normal infantry.
We should obviously rebalance everything for that mode, but that might add something and make some units more useful.

I also suggest that some units costs are lowered in that mode to become a real addition to the player.
For example a player that have access to hussars should be able to buy those instead of normal knights and their cost should become 4, like a normal knight.
Age of Fantasy design leader
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

That is another way of doing it. However, that might be a weakness for some, like swapping mongolian horse archers with horse archers. Because MHA don't get any blacksmith bonuses and they can't upgrade.

So, I agree, if we do go that route, much balancing would need to be done to make it fair.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Alexander82 wrote:I remember that some sid meywer's civilization games had some specific units that were substitutes for normal units (for example a japanese player had the samurai unit instead of a normal swordman, so a roman player could use a legionaire instead of a normal infantry.
We should obviously rebalance everything for that mode, but that might add something and make some units more useful.

I also suggest that some units costs are lowered in that mode to become a real addition to the player.
For example a player that have access to hussars should be able to buy those instead of normal knights and their cost should become 4, like a normal knight.
Thats a very interesting idea, and more realistic me thinks.

Though, like DC said, it will take a little more balancing. I think maybe worth it..not sure :?
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

Nations concept for AoS by me.
Roman UU=Legionare, Centurion, Saggitarus Ability:All units +1 speed when adjacent to legionare (to simulate roads)
Japan UU=Samurai, Tanegashima, Yari Ashigaru Ability:Can build dojos (train basic units that have upgrades and upgrade basic units)
Celt UU=Celtic Swordsman, Highlander Ability:All infantries adjacent to priest or missionary increase their conversion ressistance by 5% ?
Greece UU=Hoplite, Fire Siphon Ability:Can build gymnasion (train basic infantries and research blacksmith techs)
Hungary UU=Hussar, Tabor(Hungarian War Wagon) Ability:?
Egypt UU=Mameluke, Egyptian Chariot Archer (the one in map editor) Ability:Build buildings faster
Germany UU=Teutonic Knight, Zweihander, War Wagon Ability:Start with loyalty tech
Korea UU=Turtle Ship, Hwacha Ability:-1 turn for researching techs
Mongolia UU=Mongolian Horseman, Stepee Rider ? Ability:Can build a Mongolian Ger (Train mounted units and shoot enemies)
VIking UU=Berserker (the one in level editor), Longship Ability:-1 turn for building ships
Saracen UU=Saracen Archer, Hashashim (Special Assasin) Ability:-1 turn for training religious units
?=I am not sure
What do you think of my concept? :)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

DoomCarrot wrote:That is another way of doing it. However, that might be a weakness for some, like swapping mongolian horse archers with horse archers. Because MHA don't get any blacksmith bonuses and they can't upgrade.

So, I agree, if we do go that route, much balancing would need to be done to make it fair.
I think that in a nation games the units should definitely benefit from bonuses (national units have to be used, or else it's just a common game)
Age of Fantasy design leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I believe right now there r three completed nations, or groups of nations, so here is my idea

Ancient Roman Empire: The glorious Rome has risen once again to reclaim their empire
Unique units:
Roman garrison
Centurion
Drummer
Other roman units
Heavy chariot (other nation will have only chariot)

Holy Catholic Empire: When Europe wasted in darkness, the Church brought it back to life. Once again they shall expand their ideology into the new world and convert it to their faith
Unique units:
Church and Cathedral
Priest (other nation will only have healer)
Missionary
Templar, templar knight and upgrades
Teutonic knight

Land of the Rising Sun: ruled by the shogunate, the samurai are gearing up for war. And when they fight a war they won't stop killing until they stop breathing
Unique units:
Dojo
Ashigaru packs
Samurai and hatamoto
Ninja

There r many nice ideas for all three nations, once these get implemented they will b included in the unique units list of the respective nations
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Yes cool!
Thanks!
Josh
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I can add few more:
Viking union
Fierce warriors and great sailors of the north
Unique units:
Flailman
Celtic warrior
Galleas upgrade (others will have only galley)
Mending ship
Viking ship

Hungarian kingdom
(Here must be description)
Unique units:
Heavy horse archer (others will have normal ones only)
Hungarian hussar
Bird
Elite light cavalry (others will have normal one only)
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

I know an unit we can implement to Russia they're called Cossacks and were very popular in east Slavic countries especially Russia and Ukraine, back then Ukraine and Russia were one.
Cossacks are a group of predominantly East Slavic–speaking people who became known as members of democratic, self-governing, semi-military communities, predominantly located in Eastern and Southern Ukraine and in Southern Russia, within the borders of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
They played an important role in the historical and cultural development.
The Don Cossack Host, which had been established by the 16th century, allied with the Tsardom of Russia. Together they began a systematic conquest and colonisation of lands in order to secure borders.
By the end of the 18th century Cossack nations had been transformed into a special military estate (Sosloviye), "a military class". Similar to the knights of medieval Europe in feudal times or the tribal Roman auxiliaries, the Cossacks came to military service having to obtain charger horses, arms and supplies at their own expense. The government provided only firearms and supplies for them. Cossack service was considered the most rigorous one.

So in my opinion i think this will go perfect with Russia
I'm not really good with making stats because i joined yesterday so if we implement this unit to the game it would be better to let someone else think about that but I'll tell what i know about them.
the Cossacks were always on fast horses like the wiki says (charger horses) and were very skilled riding their horses they even could ride them upside down
They also had rifle's or a bow and a very long curved sword and were expert's using the rifle/bow and sword horseback.
So the unit has to have.
1 very fast speed. Maybe like those mongol archers on horseback.
2 a unit spell that they can shoot with their rifles would make this unit interesting to use.
3 make them 3 turn like the light weight horseman similar stats like them but you also need to unlock gunpowder to unlock their full potential.
3 make them 3 turn like the lightweight horse but with less defence.
So basically a very fast unit with a ranged spell that needs gunpowder upgrade and atack upgrades to make him good.

Yeah that's it for now what do you guys think?
I'll post some pictures of them.
@COOLguy
Last edited by Belosteel on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

If this is a yes then I'll draw the Cossack. i drew a horse today but it's not finished yet so i can easily remake it into a sprite that fits the Cossacks description.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I'd like to see cossacks for aos but not only mounted ones but foot ones as well.
Infantry cossacks were much more common in 15th century when they have formed.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

Oke, yeah i read that if we going for the nation's with specialized units and i think that's a very good idea by the way, then some nation's need more units and Russia is one of them so that's why i think Cossacks needs to be implemented because they were one of the most important military unit's from Russia.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sorry i had to delete the attached images as were too big - big images are needed to be linked externally - others will help if have not found how to.
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:42 pm sorry i had to delete the attached images as were too big - big images are needed to be linked externally - others will help if have not found how to.
Will post URLs next time sorry bout that.
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

So what do you guys think?
The image is far from done but its just to show what direction it will go.

URL links how Cossacks looked like
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... h%2Fx%2Fim
Attachments
Cossack on horse.png
Cossack on horse.png (880 Bytes) Viewed 3058 times
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

It doesn't look bad, but the concept has a flaw. We can't make horses stay in an uncomfortable stance, because it will look unnatural for it to keep that pose and much more for the rider to fight from it.
OLÉ

Return to “New game types in the game (like capture the flag)”