Mapeditor documentation - IMPLEMENTED

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Mapeditor documentation - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I would like to publish the mapeditor in next release, and i think we need a little help file for that.

I would really appreciate a little help in making this help HTML file, would save me a few hours that i could spend on development.

I thing in the helpfile we need an index of the topics on the top of the html
and i planned these topics
- Introduction: where the things you can do are briefly in "top level" view are described.
- Overview: An overview of the Flow of events in creating the map - same or similar i wrote here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1895#p13489
- Map creating form: - how to launch it and where you select the size and type of map
- Map edit view (describing buttons with a screenshot - similar as i posted in the triggers section here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=234#p1411
- Layers: terrain, decoration and units layer and what can be put onto these.
- Autotileing: describing how it works and how the editor works if autotileing is turned off, desribing how to use the "lock screen" mode where you can sweep and by that you place many tiles at once.
- Map setup form (in skirmish mode): what you can define and how.
- Trigger editor: this is easy: it is almost completely written here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=234#p1411
- Sending to Dev: telling that this must be used to make a map being a "builtin" map.
- Activating the maps to the Random maps section, and to the "Own maps" section.

If anyone could help that would be great! Thanks in advance!
As a sample i can send by email the current helpfile - this is gouing to be a separate "mapeditor"helpfile.

Thanks!
COOLguy

Re: Mapeditor documentation

Post by COOLguy »

I would love to help... unfortunately I am still trying to autotile the stupid cliffs. :( Maybe after those... :?:
Thanks!
Josh
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

I played about with the map editor, and I must say, i'm impressed.

So I will help you a little in return! (not too much though as I am very busy these days) :(

Here is some text that I wrote about using this map editor... Please read through.

INTRODUCTION

The on-device map editor allows you to build, edit and eventually submit maps in the game.

---STARTING OFF---

To begin you must go to the map editor on device. From the home screen, go HOME > DOCS & SETTINGS & FORUM > DESIGN A MAP. Then tap "Create new".
The game will then ask for the map's name (you can change this later), size, and map type. The size is split into rows and columns of tiles. (As a rough guide, maps usually range between 20x20 and 60x60 (make sure you have it right, you can't change this!)) Finally, you can choose between a skirmish or random map. Skirmish maps are maps located in single player (the CAMPAIGN section), and random maps are the maps where you play multiplayer or against AI, with randomly spread TCs. Then tap "Create draft" to begin editing.

---THE EDITOR---

The game uses a two-layer design for its maps. The top layer being the unit layer, and the bottom being the terrain layer. In random maps, only the bottom layer (with a few exceptions) may be edited.

Remember you can save your draft at any time using the menu at bottom right (double-tap).

TOOLBAR
There are many tools on the editor, these are (left to right)

- Zoom buttons

- Stamp
> Use this to place down single tiles

- Fill tool
> Fills areas with a certain tile, useful for filling seas, mountains etc.

- I DON't KNOW WHAT THESE 2 NEXT TOOLS DO------------------------------------------------------------- :)

- Dropper
> A quick way of copying different tiles, click on the desired tile you wish to copy, and then go to stamp or fill to paste it

- Drag lock
> This locks the screen from dragging, so you can "brush" with the stamp, saving time. Tap to toggle.

- Auto-adjust toggle
> Toggles whether placed tiles will automatically "snap" into place with adjacent tiles. It is recommended not to turn this off unless you wish to add some extra detail, or the auto-adjust glitches.

TILE PICKER

To pick a tile to use, you can either use the dropper (see above), or you can search for it in the tile picker located on the top of the left side of the screen. For placing units, choose the upper option, and for placing terrain, choose the lower option.
To access these, tap it once for it to show "click to place", and then tap again.

For choosing units, there are a few categories, namely "sea", "melee", "ranged" and "structures". Look in the respective area for your desired unit. Another button can be used to specify which team the selected unit will be on (grey is for uncontrollable units)

For terrain, you can choose the red-outlined tiles for generic tiles such as land, forest and sea. The others are mainly for extra detail in maps. You can also choose categories for this, or just use "all" for all tiles.

---SUBMITTING MAPS---

When you are sure you have completed the map fully, you can submit it to the dev by tapping "send to dev". He will then judge whether it is worthy of a place in the game, and (hopefully) add it into the game in the next update.
Notify him if you wish to make a campaign, or if you want to add a description.

---TIPS AND TRICKS---

- When you submit your game to the dev, you can ask for special changes, like a poisoned/injured unit, or wagons pre-filled.

- Watch out for placing wagons, catapults, etc. in forests as they will be unable to move.

- If you have ideas for a map, but not the time/skill to complete them, you can request on the community forum.

- If you are out of ideas, you can look for requests too.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Thank you so much! these are very helpful textings for the final HTML!
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Daniel: is that first rider on the "Tips and Tricks" at the bottom accurate? I didn't know you could do that (put people in wagons, etc.).
Thanks!
Josh
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I can do anything :) but without codin it is not possible currently. So it is devtime related.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Wow that's cool. I have been missing out. :)
Thanks!
Josh

Return to “Implemented/Closed”