Sentinel adjustment - IMPLEMENTED

Alexander82

Sentinel adjustment - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Alexander82 »

I'd like to know your opinion about one thing.

When i proposed the sentinel i wanted to add the strengthen on self as one sort of defensive stance. It should have been like giving up its attack to stand ground in a defensive position.

When developing the unit we just added a strengthen on self with the side effect of having a longer duration. This way it is just a buff that you need to cast on yourself from time to time.

Since I wanted the unit to stick more with the starting concept I was thinking to reduce the strengthen effect to 1 round (so you need to cast it every time you want that extra armor) but i didn't want to nerf the unit (even tough the upcoming evasion techs might reduce that effect) so i was going to change something to even things a bit. Those are some of my ideas.

1) instead of the current strengthen we might give a purely defensive and stronger effect (like a +5 or +6 to both armors) until the next turn

2) increase the unit attack by +3 in normal mode but reduce it when using the defending skill (while raising armor)

3) giving full damage on counter in defense mode

What do you think about it?
Age of Fantasy design leader
Sunrise Samurai

Re: Sentinel adjustment

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

I think something like +5 or +6 to both armors and duration 3 sounds good, no change​ to attack at all in it.
The glorious sun rises again
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

The idea was duration 1, otherwise there is no point in changing it. It should be like an alternative action (like deciding about attacking or defend until next turn). I hope this time i've been clear.
Sunrise Samurai

Ahh. Well then, let's try this one. Based on your idea for elf archer.

Duration 2
+5 to both armors
-4 speed (immobile for a turn)
First strike
Full damage on counter

It's a full on defensive mode, sacrificing the ability to move for a turn to gain armor and a nasty counterattack that hits before the initial attack from the enemy.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

That would be ok but it should be for one turn only imho (so no -4 speed is needed). When you pass your turn and someone attacks you you have those bonuses and at the start of your next turn you get back to normal.
Sunrise Samurai

Sounds good to me. Should it require research? I think it's a bit more powerful than strengthen, despite losing the attack action, so say 3 turn research, requires level 3 armor upgrade?
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Nice idea. We can also use that for dwarven defenders later on
Sunrise Samurai

Yeah I'm trying to give elves a massive, in depth tech tree with dependencies to encourage players to plan out their advancement. It's easy enough to link new or old techs to the blacksmith techs to start this out lol. If it works out, maybe we can do the same for other races.

And I'm giving up on trying to balance AoF in all techs games. Each race responds differently to them, making that very hard to do.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

IMPLEMENTED

Return to “Archived - Votes and Polls”