Multiplayer, Player becomes lost instead of AI ANSWERED

Issues in the game itself, so no crash report but anything that works badly / or other way it should- but without a crash.
Puss_in_Boots

Multiplayer, Player becomes lost instead of AI ANSWERED

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

When a player resigns in a multiplayer game, they lose instead of becoming AI.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Multiplayer, Player becomes lost instead of AI

Post by Stratego (dev) »

that is ok if that is the only player.
phoenixffyrnig

Re: Multiplayer, Player becomes lost instead of AI ANSWERED

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

No, I've witnessed this in games of several players. After the player resigns, the units stay where they are and cease to be active, they don't build, move, or attack...basically, whoever is nearest can take over without having to fight.

Ive tested this by leaving units on adjacent tiles to enemies and by leaving a single unit as the only unit in range of towers. This has also been corroborated by another player who did his own tests too.
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i am not sure is it good or bad this way.
i have not modified that part from years.

may tha auto-ai logic goes to only the kicked players - not sure.

was it other way earlier?
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Currently ai is taking place only when player is kicked.
When player resignes ai is not taking his place.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

cool than it is not bug, but can be a suggestion if some of u wants it to be on resign too.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I prefer it to be as it is now because it is easier to finish games this way.

If every player who resings will become ai than it will become much more annoying to finish games.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

I take the other view - I would rather see the remaining units controlled by AI in the interests of fairness.

Imagine a fairly equal four way fight going on, and blue decides to resign. Yellow, his neighbour just moves in and takes his TCs, whereas red and green, who might be further away from blue continue fighting. This means that suddenly, yellow will be twice the size as the others without having to have fought for it.

Remember, people resign when they're doing well too, such as when life gets too busy, or they'll be away for a few weeks. As things stand, I feel it creates a power vacuum on the map which confers unfair advantage to whoever is closest.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

if game is ffa than maybe. in case of team games if player resigns than his units will go to his team partner.

Also imagine another situation that i have: ffa for 6 players and 5 of them resigned. only i have left. if they will become ai than this means that i need to finish this stupid ffa with ais.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Hmm, I'm coming back to this. I've been keeping an eye on how this affects the dynamics of a game involving several players, and a passive army on the map seems to be a kingmaker - whoever happens to be nearest can swoop in and boost their strength to become almost definite game winner.

There have been times it has swung in my favour, and I have been able to see first hand how easy it is to gain an insurmountable advantage in about 3 turns! I think we need to have resigned forces taken over by AI to keep things fair.

Mak - in answer to that scenario, as things currently stand, you do not need to beat a resigned players forces to win, that faction has already lost the game - it just doesn't sit right with me that anyone can slip into the power vacuum left by a completely inanimate army when the whole point of the game is to conquer your opponents by strategy and tactics.
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Seriously, am I the only one bothered by this...? A resigned players forces do nothing! It becomes a land grab, all tactical and strategic play up until then is voided, and the player who is closest can normally use the numerical advantage to grind out the win.

Please please please, make a resigned players forces be controlled by AI, but make it not necessary to beat them to gain victory - that person has already accepted defeat, but please let's not leave a power vacuum that turns it into a game of chance!
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

Hmm. For one, multiplayer games should be won automatically if only AI are left to fight against. Since this only happens if the other player/s resign or are inactive, you have beat them, so why does the game continue?

Once that is changed, making resigned players in FFA games become AI shouldn't be a problem, as it won't make games drag on. It makes sense, and doesn't give any player a massive advantage for absolutely no reason.

Hope this is changed soon :D
AOD Team - Join Us!
vmatveenko

Post by vmatveenko »

I totally agree on the issue, faced it myself several times. There sometimes happen situations when a player resignes for no visible reason. And after that when all his units become inactive, it becomes too huge boost for the one being the closest. Dozens of turns (and months of time) of careful planning just instantly get wasted, as one player receives too big inistant advantage. As it was mentioned earlier, the game should be won automatically if only AI except one player left, but until then for fairness purposes it is better not to make ones units just inactive.
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

I think I am in the game that @TheSenate-_- mentioned elsewhere. This is a big problem in ffa matches.

In this instance, it was the chip leader (by quite a distance) who resigned. A favourable TC spread gave him 12 TCs to our 8, and his stats suggest he should be a good player, but he chose to fold when he realised he was against tough opposition who were actually pushing him back.

I say all that to make a point - people have different thresholds for resigning. Some jack it in as soon as the going gets tough, some fight to the bitter end, some decide to can it when it is clear they have lost even if much fighting remains.

I have even encountered players who make use of the fact that resigning counts as finishing a game to boost their badge, and will sack off any game they don't get an immediate early advantage, resigning in the first few turns of 1 on 1s and free for alls.

Meanwhile, the remaining players are left with a game that has suddenly become wildly unbalanced, giving some a huge advantage and others no chance.

This power vacuum is breaking games and turns a strategic fight into a lottery based on geography.

Please make it so resigned forces are AI controlled, but not necessary to destroy to gain victory since that army has already accepted defeat. I cannot see how this would have any negative effect (please tell me if I am wrong, somewhat obviously this is a bugbear of mine) and it would allow the remaining players to finish a balanced match in a much fairer manner.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I can recommend to just play on skirmish maps with preset tc generation.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

The start wasn't the problem. I can handle a challenge, trust me. This guy should have put us all in a box, but that's easier said than done with some of us.

There is no diplomatic way to say this, but this guy pu55ied out when the going got tough. His resignation has ruined the game for the rest of us. Two of us are on a land grab because resignation equals free TCS, and the other player, diagonally opposite to the resigned and inert forces, doesn't have a chance of gaining anything and will inevitably be ground down by numerical advantage.

It's a shame, its the first time I have met this opponent, and the first time he has met the other remaining opponent - unfortunately after more than 30 truns of hard fighting, this game, like many others, is not getting decided by skill or wit, but by physical proximity to the player who bails first.

Return to “Game”