Deep water and Riffs - IMPLEMENTED

Alexander82

Deep water and Riffs - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Alexander82 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:44 am

I was thinking that we might add two new tile type. It should be a water tile slightly darker than the usual tile. That should be deep water.
The other one, more useful for river maps, should be a reef, rock that slightly come out from waters (or that you can see slightly under the water surface)
When you have reached the continental slope or when you meet rocks you can't just go on with underwaterwalking and you have to get around or use transports.

This would give the map makers a way to avoid undead to just go trough water by walking (if they need that).
What do you think?
Age of Fantasy design leader

The Pendulum

Re: Deep water and Riffs

Post by The Pendulum » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:45 pm

I like it; shouldn't be too hard to draw either, though, that's many more than just 2 tiles. That's a deep water tile for each direction you need to shade the water (darker) for a gradual ocean effect), and a tile for each direction the reef sits on the beach.

Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Not exactly. Most games just settle for a light blue and a dark blue for shallow and deep water. I don't think undead are in any way overpowered by being able to go through water, but having a reef or rocks to block any movement could help keep oceans and rivers from being just a straight shot to more land, and make naval campaigns possible. for deep water, I think that building in it would be impossible, to prevent most bridges from crossing it. The elf bridge could still move itself across, but that would be an identifying mark to make it more unique, especially given the lack of an elven navy.
Currently residing at the local ninja academy. I'm still watching though.

The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:29 pm

Sunrise Samurai wrote:Not exactly. Most games just settle for a light blue and a dark blue for shallow and deep water. I don't think undead are in any way overpowered by being able to go through water, but having a reef or rocks to block any movement could help keep oceans and rivers from being just a straight shot to more land, and make naval campaigns possible. for deep water, I think that building in it would be impossible, to prevent most bridges from crossing it. The elf bridge could still move itself across, but that would be an identifying mark to make it more unique, especially given the lack of an elven navy.
I was digging through the game files and found what looked to be ocean tiles already shaded darker to indicate deep water among other things. Just not implemented yet?

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:41 pm

deep water: they are implemented, and they are already on some maps. generally dolphins swimming in them :)

Alexander82

Re: Deep water and Riffs - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Alexander82 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:35 am

oh, then it's perfect ;)
Age of Fantasy design leader

Return to “IMPLEMENTED - ARCHIVED”