balancing: axe thrower - ANSWERED

ejm29

balancing: axe thrower - ANSWERED

Post by ejm29 »

Ive noticed that the orc axe thrower struggles to do hardly any damage to the human Ornithopter, this means that the humans have a huge advantage over the orcs as the axe thrower is one of there only ranged units. I think that the bonus against the Ornithopter should be changed to make this more even :)
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Ness

Re: balancing: axe thrower

Post by Ness »

Defending againist flying units with orcs is impossible without huge casualties. So axe thrower should make more damage againist them or orcs should have archers.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, we can talk about it, but my first thoughts are:
- orc are dumb and a little clumsy race, they can not shoot a flying unit, they can not shoot high and precisely.
- and they can train many very strong ground units to rush the enemy even against (costy!) ornithopters,
- and they gained recently some dragons that can fly and can tear all ornithopters apart easily (and can be casted easily using the tons of orcs u have to sacrifice)
- and the magicians can manage these flying units - and they can really good (making them disabled, or even kill them with one spell)
(btw: axe thrower is configured as a melee unit, simply throws his weapon (it can not throw up so high as an archer) - but we can change it if this is confusing)
Ness

Post by Ness »

Why orcs cant have archers? "They are stupid" isnt good argument because how orcs have swords. Bow is much easier to make than sword.
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

Maybe they could have bows that have a chance of missing? (like the sling from AOS)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think that orcs could have goblin archers
Goblins are nimbler and somehow smarter than orcs
I think they shouldn't have problems in using a bow
Age of Fantasy design leader
Ness

Post by Ness »

Nice idea. They could have lower range and power than human archers.
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

+1 :)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Goblin archers should rather be a pretty cheap unit
They might have lesser range and damage but cost 1 (and being available only after a technology)
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

How about we instead give them say a goblin trapper, with a weak, 3 range poison attack and some debilitating spell like abilities, such as a net that would immobilize the target while removing flying based advantages for 1 or 2 turns, then give disarmor, plus a Molotov cocktail ability to inflict burning to a target. A fourth ability could help it out, but in general it is a 3 movement, 3 range irritant with low hp that lets the more powerful orcs catch and eliminate difficult targets like ornithoptors and vampires that would otherwise be unmanageable without a swarm
The glorious sun rises again
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

i find it too tricky and situational, it should cost no more than one turn because you would make one only for flying units...
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

By the way...
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

The purpose of the trapper wouldn't just be an anti-flying unit. Though given its weaknesses I do envision it as a 2 cost, the ability to disarmor tougher enemies, keep cavalry stuck in one place, and poison or burn enemies for ongoing damage would allow orcs more strategy than they currently have. The ability to inflict burning would make it another form of siege equipment to remove towers than just bashing, and disarmor would make tougher enemies like vampires, which are extremely hard to hurt because of their high armor, good health, and high lifelink attack, much easier to take down in light of the orcs' lack of ranged attacks to avoid the lifelink infused counterattack. In short, the idea was a multipurpose front line support unit that would enable the orc race to deal with threats that would otherwise require a ranged unit they do not have. It isn't much more situational than a human mage who can only support allied attacks when his fireball attack is in cooldown or not yet researched.
The glorious sun rises again
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

Maybe you should make a post for the trapper, as it doea not really help the balancing between orcs and flying units much :)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I agree. I think tha orcs need an archer unit
RiverRaider 1097

Post by RiverRaider 1097 »

This concept could also be used in AOS, upgrade for the horse archer get a double shot option or maybe have more damage against the heavy knight .Produced just for defense against the Blitzkrieging hordes something more than the pikeman , skirmisher this could cause one to think" should I stay or should I go now" haha :roll:
and remember,wherever your at,there you are
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

There is another topic about that and orcs have some ranged unts now

Return to “Archived - Orcish Units, Buildings”